Thursday, November 4, 2010

A film worth mentioning.

"The Tin Drum"(1979) - This has to be one of the best films that I have seen in a while. Winner of the Palm d'Or in a tie with "Apocalypse Now!" I now realize the merits of this film. I had heard about it a lot in the context that "It was the film that shared the Palm d'Or with "Apocalypse Now!", but I had never had any ambition to see it. Years after hearing about this film I saw that their was a Criterion Collection release of it (which is pretty much the only way to watch films at home). I rented the Criterion from Netflix and was blown away. This film succeeds on so many different levels and has so many layers to its story. It is completely engrossing. Oskar is a great character being played by child David Bennent who was only 11 years old at the time. He shows tremendous wide range of acting particularly for his age. He is at times cute and charming, and at other times frightening and destructive. I don't want to give too much away. Just go and see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment